Thursday, November 10, 2022

Additional Autumnal Antecdotes

Skeins of geese are once again winging their way southward, looking for better grazing as winter draws nearer. 



They can be heard even in the dark, as they honk their way to greener pastures and open water.

 

Eagles also follow open waters south to areas where fish can be caught.  There was a place in Missouri, not far from where I lived where migrating eagles would stop and hunt to refuel for their continued journey. There were a few weekends a year that were pretty amazing to behold.

 


Other signs of birds leaving the area are empty nests that can be seen in shrubs and trees as the leaves drop and reveal their hiding places. I particularly liked this one that was woven into an autumn olive. The bush just kept right on growing into the nest and ended up making berries part of the fabric.

I can't help but think of Baloo when I see the ripe autumn olives - he loved them so much and ran from bush to bush to eat as many as he could before I told him he'd had enough. I've been eating a handful or two in his honor each time I pass his favorite snacking area. The boy had good culinary instincts - they're quite tasty.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I never knew you could eat autumn olives ! I'll have to try some for myself.

BetsyLee