Monday, November 14, 2022

Mandolin Magic

There was enough interest in my mandolin camp adventures, that I am going to share a little bit about the experience, which was amazing.  

My personal mandolin saga began about five years ago, when my brother handed me a mandolin and asked me to play with him for an event in honor of an old family friend. I learned a three chord wonder song and sang harmony with him. We've been playing and singing together ever since. There's nothing quite like sibling harmony.

Since that fateful day, I've been trying to teach myself how to play, with books and online videos and just stumbling around. I had reached the point where I felt I was on the edge of beginning to understand something about the instrument and needed some help to fall off on the right side of that edge. I searched for mandolin camps in my state and there was one quite close to me, so I signed up! And, oh, talk about pre-camp jitters!


Great Lakes Mandolin Camp was held near the Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore, which is quite beautiful. This is the sunrise viewed through my bedroom window the first morning of camp.


It was a weekend full of mandolin immersion, with classes taught by superb mandolin players, jam sessions (structured and informal), individual master classes, student and faculty concerts and lots of great stories about mandolin legends.

Brian Oberlin, the camp organizer, Emory Lester and Don Stiernberg taught a number of different mandolin playing styles ranging from classical and jazz to swing, bluegrass and old time. You can look these artists up online and listen to some of their music, if you're interested. They all have YouTube videos, websites (and CDs you can purchase, if you are captured by the sounds). 

 

Music theory was the easy part for me, since I took both voice and piano lessons in my youth, but there was so much information that sailed right over my head that I have plenty to work on and try to master before next year's camp (I have been practicing like mad and I can at least dream about mastering the material, right?).  So, yes, I'll be going again, if it's at all possible. 

Oh, and there will be another post about one of the results of this weekend adventure. How's that for a teaser?

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I've played mandolin off and on since high school. It's a wonderful instrument. Mine has been spending too much time in the closet lately, maybe I should check out a mandolin camp- looks like fun! brandicat

Webfoot said...

Oh, brandicat! Do dust off your mandolin and come to camp next year. :)