Sunday, October 2, 2022

Exhibitionists

Hah! I'll bet you were prepared to see almost anything with that title. Sorry to disappoint those with more prurient interests, but I'm merely talking about showoffs, showboaters or hotdoggers.

While most foliage is still green, some plants start sporting fall colors early. Wood ivy (a.k.a. Virginia creeper) turns red ahead of just about everyone else. I always enjoy the intense color against the green background.  This plant climbed a slender sapling to make a beautiful column of red.


Here's a closer look at the leaves.


Then, I spied this grape leaf, which was so very dramatic surrounded by bright green. I love the lighter yellow-green along the central veining in contrast to the deep red of the outer edges. 

I'm sure I'll bore you with other autumnal colors along the way, but these just seemed to cry out for attention - as exhibitionists usually do.

No comments: