Friday, December 29, 2023

The Model

I thought I ought to give credit where credit is due. After all, I wouldn't have been able to carve the Christmas Cardinal without a handsome model to work from. 

 
Here he is. I enjoy having him (and several of his friends) hanging out in my yard for most of the year.

 
I love seeing his brilliant flash of color any time of year, but it's especially welcome during the winter, when the color palette is dominated by neutral grays and browns (and white, when it snows).


He fluffs himself into a scarlet feather ball in cold weather.

And peeks out from the safety of brush tangles, where hawks can't penetrate, creating delightful visual surprises.


So, many thanks to this marvelous model for inspiring this year's holiday carving. I couldn't have done it without him!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH my........... you nailed that image of the model in the thicket. Not that any of us expected any less from your talented hands.

Again, Thank you!!!

Sheila

Webfoot said...

Thanks, Sheila. I just had to give due credit to the print's inspiration. :)