Thursday, December 21, 2023

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

I ran across this poem the other day and Robert Frost's words have struck again.  Especially on this solstice - the darkest evening of the year.  So, here's the poem with a few snowy pictures to go along with it. No horses or harnesses, though. Sorry about that. :)


Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.



My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.



He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.


Somehow, his words capture the peaceful hush of the snowy woods and trails.



And the solitude, with only the horse and whisper of the wind for company.


The "miles to go before I sleep" lines made me feel a reluctance to leave the quiet of that wood to dive back into the holiday season's bustle with all the preparations for gathering to celebrate with those we love. Things do get a little hectic at times! (I thought the turkey tracks went well with the bustling....) 

Happy Solstice!! The days start getting longer again from here and I'm ready for the shift.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and peaceful. Thank you for a lovely essay.

Hugs for your holidays, from BetsyLee

Anonymous said...

such beautiful photos to go with this poem. It was good to be reminded of it again. Wishing you a peaceful and gladsome Christmas season and a blessed new year! QM

Anonymous said...

So perfect. I so enjoy your musings and photographs. There's a clip that is out there on youtube or pinterest/whatnot of the elderly Mr. Frost reciting this poem and it is quite something to hear in his own voice. Pairs quite well with your post actually. TAP

Webfoot said...

Thank you, BetsyLee. Oh, by the way, I don't have an address for you, or I would have sent you a Christmas Cardinal. If you want to be on the list for future foolishness, send me an AQ message. :) Holiday hugs right back!

Webfoot said...

Thank you QM! Stumbling across that poem felt like perfect timing. Merry Christmas to you!!

Webfoot said...

Thank you, TAP! I'll have to look that up and give it a listen. Something to look forward to experiencing. :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the moment of calm in this season of activity!
Glad the days will be getting longer now.
Happy Holidays
Shooz

Webfoot said...

Thank you, Shooz! Today is longer than yesterday. Maybe only by a few seconds, but I count every one of them. :)