Monday, June 19, 2023

The Beauty of the Evening

Evening grosbeaks haven't been as common at the family homestead in recent years as they were when I was growing up, so it was nice (and unusual) to have a little flock of the beaks hanging around all winter and well into the spring.

 
Their rose-breasted cousins are the ones frequenting the feeding stations now that the evening grosbeak contingent have moved farther north for their nesting season, but I still wanted to share a few of the pictures I was able to snap of them before they flew on their way.

 
The males and females are both beautiful. Madam is just a little more muted in her coloring. Their feathers look so smooth and sleek that they almost seem airbrushed.  

 
They're very fond of cracked corn and sunflower seeds and are primarily ground feeders, so we are liberal with the sprinkling of favored foods.

They fly in with all their friends to enjoy the banquet and, if they get startled, they all disappear in a flurry of feathers until the perceived danger has passed.


The boys look pretty serious, don't they? They have that bright yellow brow that almost looks furrowed in thought or worry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I miss the flocks of Evening Grosbeaks that used to come by my feeders in the 80s and 90s. They'd descend like rain on the feeders and clean everything out in a half hour, then take off. I'd go out and refill the feeders for the other 'polite' birds to have a few seeds, and in would fly the noisy hordes to clean out the feeders a second time. Argh. :^)

They were a pain sometimes, but I loved 'em. Who would love a buncha noisy yella birds eating seed??

The Rose Breasted are one of my summer favorites. I know it's summer for sure when they are at my feeders.

Hugs to ya, from BetsyLee