Friday, June 30, 2023

Saddling Up Again

Last year, I came across a Dryad's Saddle on a stump and thought it looked like a perfect spot for a woodland sprite of some sort (Fanciful Fungus).

 
This year, I came across a maple tree that has several of them growing on it and they are much larger than last year's specimen. These could easily accommodate multi-level slumber parties for tree spirits and fairy folk.



I still haven't tasted any of these mushrooms, although they are edible.  From what I have read, they are supposed to taste a little like cucumber or watermelon rind.  Cucumbers are good but I have my doubts about watermelon rind (and shouldn't mushrooms taste like mushrooms?). 

Besides, I didn't want to disturb the dryad's furnishings - they are far too picturesque.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

With Dryad's Saddles, I love to see the drastic change as they grow from a little flat-ended stump to a great big seat ! It's one of the first fungi that I was able to watch the progression of, from beginning to end. Love 'em !

Thanks for the pics, hope you're having a good summer,

Hugs from BetsyLee

Anonymous said...

they are so cool. love the picture you painted of a fairy dwelling.

Sheila