Thursday, August 15, 2019

Make New Friends!

I love meeting new friends when I'm out wandering around in the wide world with Baloo. 


This vine was covered with little six-petaled flowers and the effect reminded me of a cascading whitewater rapids or waterfall. Of course, we were walking along the river, so the association was completely natural. 

I didn't know who this plant might be and had to go look it up. I learned that it's a wild cucumber vine! When the fruits ripen, they look like cucumbers - except they're really spiny.  Imagine if you crossed a porcupine with a cucumber - this is what you might get. Or a gooseberry and a cucumber - that would be just about right, too. I'll have to see if I can spot some later in the season and take another picture. 

So, now we've been formally introduced and I have a new friend out on the river trail. That's always a treat. 

No comments: