Saturday, September 24, 2022

Spotted Bees?

Sometimes, I take pictures of things I want to learn more about to remind me to do a little research. I have noticed these plants for a number of years and wondered about them, so it was past time to become acquainted. 


Monarda Punctata. The proper name of this plant sounds rather regal, don't you think? It's also known as Spotted Bee Balm, although I can't remember ever seeing a spotted bee - they usually wear stripes! Levity aside, I don't tend to notice these unobtrusive little plants until the pink blossoms start to creep upward along the stem, making them suddenly stand out against the surrounding greenery.


The flowers surround the entire stem with dusty pink petals and purple spotted yellow centers. It seems they are fairly hardy plants in the mint family and are quite popular with pollinators. 

I also learned that, while bees, butterflies and hummingbirds are fond of these flowers, deer and rabbits tend to find them unpalatable. I'm thinking I might need to introduce some of these in my gardens, since the bunnies and deer have ravaged the poor plants this year and I need to reconsider the landscaping a bit!


The flowers remind me of miniature orchids (click on the picture, if you want a close-up look). 

So, there's my new friend for the day with a formal (and informal) introduction - I'll just have to keep my eyes open for the spotted bees.

No comments: