Sunday, September 18, 2022

Culinary Capers

I am finally out of quarantine, caught up on a couple of Stampeaz orders that came in while I was down with the evil plague (thank you for your patience!!) and have gotten busy with some of the garden's bounty. 

My brother and I planted two different kinds of basil this year and, while it had sort of a slow start, it finally caught on to the whole growing and flourishing concept and gave us a pretty good harvest.

Quite a lot of the basil has been used for fresh caprese salads, featuring home grown tomatoes, mozzarella cheese and balsamic vinegar. However, we were falling behind with the basil consumption and something had to be done!

Pesto to the rescue! Sadly, my whole family suffers from pine nut induced dysgeusia syndrome, so we can't use the traditional recipe, but toasted walnuts are a very credible substitute and are delicious in their own right. So, here are my before and after pictures.

 


A two ounce container is about perfect for making one of my pizzas or a lovely side dish of pasta (we can break out more than one, if we need to dress a full pasta dinner!). 

I also had a little basil left over and I'm trying an experiment. I read somewhere that you could simply blend it with plain olive oil and freeze it. I made a few containers of that, too, just to see - sometimes you want plain basil instead of pesto - I'm thinking Thai food here.... I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: