Monday, September 26, 2022

Precision Proboscis Probing

Hummingbirds weren't the only butterfly bush lovers visiting the flowers in my back yard. This monarch (full disclosure: these pictures are a couple weeks old, but I didn't get them onto the blog in a timely fashion) took great delight in sipping a little from each bloom.


I enjoyed watching the play of light and shadow on its wings.

I was also fascinated by the accuracy and dexterity of the proboscis. The picture above shows an almost ninety degree angle from the butterfly's face to the flower blossom.

And, of course, I love the action photos, even if they're a sometimes a little bit blurry. Once again, the flexible appendage made me smile, as it's all curled up for traveling safely to the next nectar receptacle (which, incidentally, is the proper word for the stalk that bears the floral bits of a flower head - who knew??). 

As always, if you want to inspect the smaller details, you should be able to click on the pictures for a closer look.


 

No comments: