Sunday, August 9, 2020

It's Coming Together - Slowly

It was getting a little quiet on the blog front again, wasn't it? There has been a lot going on with the Stampeaz site rebuild, so it's time for another update. I can't pretend it's terribly interesting reading, but people have asked for it. You have been warned.  

The pieces are starting to create a picture that looks like it might eventually make some sense. As you can see, there are still big chunks missing, but it's beginning to look like it's really going to come together. So, what does that mean, exactly? 

All the carving materials and kits, most of the carving tools and several lines of ink pads and inkers have been entered into the new database. Today, I'm working on more of the inks, inkers and markers. I have set myself a deadline for getting it all finished and, if I manage to figure out how to deal with shipping costs, I just might come close to making that deadline. It's  possible I will have to use the same shipping refund workaround that I did in the old store, where I simply refunded any shipping overcharge. This is only an issue since I use regional flat rate mail, which varies in cost depending on how far away from me a customer is and I can't know how much postage will be until I actually create the label at the post office's web site, but we'll see if I can come up with a better methodology. I just don't like people to have to pay more than is necessary for postage. 

This data entry process has brought home to me just how many different things have been added to the store over the years, as people requested them. There is a surprising amount of stuff in the basement! So, I confess that I might cheat a little bit on the deadline thing - I am trying to get the most important and most popular inventory entered first and some things that don't get as much love from my customers may straggle into the store after it's up and running. That means that if you don't see something that you think should be there, don't panic. Let me know and I will take care of it. :)

How has Baloo been faring during all of this? He has been amazingly patient as I continue my extreme preoccupation with all things computer. His human is unusually boring these days, but he's still insisting that we get outside for several walks every day, so he's right on top of his job. When it's time for me to move (or feed him) he keeps jogging my elbow, making data entry impossible -- and I have to keep him from putting his chin on the keyboard to do his very own database manipulations. He is helping. 

5 comments:

Wise Wanderer said...

Sounds like good progress on a huge job! Looking forward to the new site, as I’m sure you are, too. 😊

PUFF said...

Where can we see your products?

Webfoot said...

Thanks, Wise Wanderer! I'm definitely looking forward to getting the new site launched. :)

Webfoot said...

Hi, PUFF! You can't see my products anywhere just yet. Hold on for a little while longer, though, and they'll all be available at stampeaz.com. I will have a celebratory post on the blog when the new site goes live, so stay tuned. :)

Janice Bryant said...

Keep on keeping on, Webby! I've been plugging your and your email regularly on Kae Pea's ComMOONity Page (for patrons of Rubbermoon on Patreon) so you should end up with some orders the minute you get launched again. From me, too!! Hugs to you and Baloo!