Monday, November 20, 2017

A Royal Thank-You

Earlier in the fall, this monarch butterfly was trapped in a corner of a gazebo down by the river and I caught it and turned it loose. 


It decided it wasn't quite ready to abandon its rescuer and made a few swooping loops around me that I really enjoyed watching, before it landed on me again. It stayed for quite a long time, running its proboscis along my finger to pick up a few minerals.


I kept trying to encourage it to fly away, but when I finally got it to take wing again, it circled right back and landed on my other hand, right beside the camera. I think it must have newly emerged from its chrysalis, since it was so perfect - not a nick or scratch on its wings at all. I have a feeling that this little beauty will find its way onto a carving block at some point. 

No comments: