Saturday, August 26, 2017

Planning Ahead


And now for something completely different....

At Christmastime every year, the little church at the end of the peninsula puts up a hat and mitten tree to benefit local children who may not have warm winter gear to keep the chill at bay. This year, I've gotten a little head start on the project and just finished knitting my first set of wearable ornaments to add to the tree. 


The pattern is a hybrid, using the basic form my mother used as we were growing up along with a little bit of sizing help from The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns. This set should work for a late elementary school child - I think the next set will be for a more early elementary size.

Whenever I work on mittens, I always think of my mother's lessons when I knit my first pair and how she told me, when I was all finished, that I now knew everything I needed to know in order to knit a sweater. I was floored, but she explained that I had learned how to do an edge treatment on the cuff, how to increase and decrease while shaping the hand, and how to make gussets while doing the thumbs. Pretty tricky way to fit all those lessons into a small project, right? She was smart that way.


No comments: