Friday, September 20, 2019

Looking Up

Baloo likes to put his nose to the ground in hopes of finding something interesting (and he often calls my attention to small creatures along the path), while I let my eyes wander higher, where I occasionally find something interesting myself. 


I got to see a great blue heron migrating south along the bay. I tried for a closer picture, but didn't manage to capture one. I still like the bird's silhouette against the clear, blue sky. 


I also enjoy watching the Eastern Kingbirds performing aerial acrobatics to catch flying insects. They perch for a few seconds, spot a tasty morsel and launch after it. I would love to be able to catch one of these in flight - they are amazingly fast and the only way it's likely to happen is by sheer chance!


Finally, from the top of a dead tree, a brown thrasher sang enthusiastic renditions of many different bird songs - a veritable medley of mimicry. 



No comments: