Monday, September 28, 2026

More Mushrooms on Monday?

Sulphur shelf or chicken of the woods are very tasty sauteed in butter, especially if you find them as brilliant and fresh as this batch was. 



Aren't they beautiful? That color isn't enhanced - they're really that bright. They're pretty hard to miss while walking through the forest. I noticed evidence of another bloom someone had already harvested - just orange remnants stuck to the side of a log. 

 

Interestingly, on the same big pine snag, about five feet lower and around the other side, a lacy group of aged turkey tail fungus filled the crevices in the bark. I thought the textures and colors were a nice juxtaposition. 


Another set of turkey tail growing on a fallen poplar tree, was a surprising color of green. It looked like that poplar was sprouting a whole new kind of leaf! 


I thought this colorful fellow, growing between the pieces of a rotting birch tree added a perfect touch to a picturesque forest floor vignette. 

This beauty was large and impressive, with an undulating cap and a lot of personality! 

Lots of fungus lately, right? It's what I've been seeing out in the woods! We'll have to see what I can locate for the next blog installment!  



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice selection ! I'm never able to capture the brilliant color of the Sulphur Shelf with my camera; it always washes out. Yours came out just right! Keep looking around for more fungi - I'm always up for more fungi pics !

Hugs to you from BetsyLee

Webfoot said...

I thought you would enjoy that one, BetsyLee. When they're fresh like this one, the Sulphur Shelf almost glows, doesn't it? What an amazing mushroom. And very good sauteed in butter. :)

Hugs right back your way!

Anonymous said...

For the eating of Sulfur Shelf, you just break off the tender edges, right? I saw a large fruiting of Sulfur Shelf that had been cut off nearly all the way to the tree trunk. I chuckled to myself, thinking that was going to be one tough chewing pan of fungi. Heh heh. Hope they weren't too discouraged. :^D

Hugs to ya from BetsyLee

Webfoot said...

I might take some of the woody part home, just to make sure I have all the good stuff, but if there's anything that feels like it might be too tough and chewy, I cut it away at home. I'm guessing the harvester you observed did the same thing.
Hugs right back your way. :)