Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Beauty and Imperfection


As Baloo and I wander through the woods, we're seeing lots of butterflies (most of which won't stay still long enough for me to take a photo. It's interesting to me that even though the butterflies often have chunks of wing missing, they sail through the air without a hitch. Can you imagine us trying to navigate a plane with a piece missing from a wing? Yeah, I'd rather not, either. 


This is a cabbage white butterfly - a female cabbage white butterfly. I learned this morning that if it has one black spot on its forewing, it's a male and if it has two black spots on its forewing, it's female. 


This one has a bird beak sized bite taken out of its right  hindwing, but it still floated with grace and apparent ease.


This monarch had a big piece out of one wing as well. I had no idea until I downloaded the picture and took a good look at it. I watched it fly around for a long time while trying to get close enough to get a decent photo and its aerial acrobatics were lovely. 

So, even with their imperfections, I thought these were absolute beauties to watch and enjoy. How often this is true in life... 



No comments: