Saturday, October 28, 2017

Sunflowers

One morning a few weeks ago, while walking across the big field with Baloo, I saw this lone sunflower glowing brilliantly in the early sun, so I took a picture and we continued on our way. 


A day or so later, we walked the other side of the field and took a trail that led near the single sunflower sentinel. Taking a closer look, I discovered that the sunflower wasn't alone after all. 


It had several small, busy friends diligently doing their pollination work.  


I have to admit that I found it humorous that the large bumble bees were working on tiny vetch flowers, but the enormous sunflower was tended by these tiny bees. 


I particularly enjoyed the intricate spiral designs in the center of the flower and I know that the finches are appreciating the now mature seeds as the days (finally) begin to cool. 




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So nice to hear from you. Love, love your photos and comments.
I see this was posted in the early hours of a new day.....geez, girl, get some sleep!!!!!

Webfoot said...

Thank you! What a nice comment - I'm glad you are enjoying the photos. You're right about the sleep part I've been staying up too late! :)