Tuesday, April 2, 2024

The Nuances of Nesting

The geese are scoping out possible nesting sites in the wetlands.


This particular goose caught my eye from across the lake. It was just standing there on one foot, watching the world go by and surveying its domain.


I wouldn't be at all surprised if a nest appeared in the grass right about there.


 Another pair of geese were paddling along in the shallows, but they sailed right past the one that had seemingly staked a claim on that particular piece of shoreline to find a different spot for their homestead. 

There will be fuzzy little goslings bobbing around in the water before we know it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so cute. I never saw a goose on one foot.

Sheila

Anonymous said...

I love to hear the local geese fly over the yard, with honks and jingling wing feathers. A couple of pairs hang out and raise their goslings in some smallish ponds in our valley. When I am lucky enough to be looking out my window at the right time, I have seen adult geese leading the little ones across one of our driveways to the swampy area nearby where they can grow and be better protected by the swampy shrubs and plants.

When I see them standing on one foot, I say, look there's a one-legger! Ha ha

Hugs to ya, from BetsyLee

Webfoot said...

Thanks, Sheila and BetsyLee! I always think of the "one-legger" geese as aspiring ballerinas preparing for a pirouette or arabesque. :) Hugs right back.