Thursday, April 11, 2024

A Superb Scaup

 This is the only scaup I have seen so far this year.


He's a very handsome specimen of drakehood, so I don't know why he hasn't attracted a girlfriend yet. I'm guessing he won't be alone for long.


After all, he keeps himself extremely well groomed and seems like an ideal mate.


If the light hits him just right, the feathers on his head glow a lovely emerald green.


Scaup are diving ducks, so I was happy that this fellow held still long enough for me to get some decent pictures. The divers usually disappear before I can get focused and then they pop up somewhere completely different and I have to focus all over again and yep, they dive before I get the picture taken. Yes, I'm slow.


It was a nice walk. Baloo and I used to visit this lake quite frequently when we had errands to run in town and the ducks always fascinated him (not to mention the muskrats!).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I've never seen a scaup! Interesting little ducky- thanks for the pics. Hope he finds a lady, and they raise a whole nest of little scaups - and one of them flies my way !

Hugs to ya, from BetsyLee

Anonymous said...

I see it now.......

webfoot, the dating service for what/who else......... the webfoot community!!!

beautifully shared. thanks.


Sheila

Webfoot said...

I love the little zigzaggy feather markings on his back and base of the wings. Feather patterns can be so surprising and artistic, don't you think? If I see him again, I'll suggest a trip to your part of the world for him or his progeny. :) Hugs right back!

Webfoot said...

Ha! Sheila, you have discovered my secret. While I don't actually run a dating service, it does appear that I assist a select clientele in creating their online profiles. :)