Friday, August 7, 2009

By Popular Request...

I bring you part one of the long awaited Chicken Update!


First, anyone who has ordered from me this month will recognize this face from the invoice stamp I'm currently using. I was really pleased with how the carving of this portrait came out. As you can tell from the chair rail in the background, she was being a very contented lap chicken -- she really loves to roost in a friendly lap.


Of course, she also tries to do her part in contributing her bit to the household. Here she is hard at work:


Cheeken has a lovely little roost out in a big outdoor cage, but she won't lay eggs out there. She prefers hiding in the dark under the desk in the dining room. I think she also likes to hear people milling around in the building, even though she likes her privacy curtain. She makes some pretty strange noises when she's trying to lay an egg. I wonder if it is uncomfortable, or if she's just giving herself a pep talk!



And isn't that something to be proud of? Don't you think she earned her tomatoes and pears (both particular favorites with her)?


I understand that she's slowing down on the eggs as she gets ready to molt again. Poor, scruffy chicken....

5 comments:

Stacy Christian said...

She is beautiful!
S

Amanda from Seattle said...

Gorgeous! As are the inks I got from you in St. Louis. I am enjoying my new colors!

Kellyann Brown said...

What a gorgeous color she is! Almost redder than red!

Tasha M said...

She is gorgeous! Is she a Rhode Island Red?

Webfoot said...

Yes, she is a Rhode Island Red -- a rescue chicken. If you want to read more about her, go back to some early blog posts.

Amanda, I am glad you're enjoying your inks. :) Colors are so much fun!!