I was out helping my brother with some chores on the family property when I noticed this milkweed plant in full flower.
Honeybees were humming around it, collecting pollen and I was trying to get some decent pictures, since it was such a lovely little vignette.
I managed to capture a few good shots of the flowers with the bees actually in focus.
I particularly liked the photo I took of this bee from the side as it gathered goodies for the hive, while still showcasing the beautiful, waxy flowers.
A little while later, I was sitting on the tailgate of the truck, resting for a minute when that very same milkweed flower attracted this handsome fellow. I was delighted both to see him and to manage a picture - also in focus, for a change on those fast-moving subjects!
I hope you're as delighted as I was.
8 comments:
Always delighted with your photos and stories!
-Explorin Orren
Milkweed flowers are so lovely, esp close up. Their scent is reminiscent of lindens, which are my favorite. Beautiful photos, thanks for sharing!
-ArtGekko
Thank you so much, Explorin Orren! You kinda made my day. :)
Thank you, ArtGekko. Milkweed flowers are sort of amazing - all those little blooms making up the magnificent clusters. It's now wonder the bees and butterflies love them so much. I know what you mean about linden (or basswood, as we call them around here). There are evenings when the scent hangs heavy in the humid summer air. It's so lovely. Thank you so much for your kind words. :)
beautiful pictures! I don't think I've ever seen a milkweed plant or flower! And I've never even heard of ArtGekko's "linden" flowers, or basswood, either. I live west of the northern Cascade mountain range. QueenMother
QueenMother, milkweeds are the favored host for monarch butterfly caterpillars, so we appreciate them. :) I'm sure you have things in your area I would love to get to see (and smell), too. Maybe someday...
It is always a treat to see what you have to post, words and pictures. Thank you for sharing all this good stuff! TAP
Thank you, TAP. I am so happy that you enjoy my odd little rambles. :)
Post a Comment