Orioles, that is...
The baby Baltimore orioles were so cute, waiting for a delivery of grape jelly. They hadn't learned how to fend for themselves and were quite insistent on the goods coming to them.
They were pretty close to full size, though they had just started molting and putting on the full glory of their orange feathers. Happily, their feeding requirements did allow for some fun observation time, though Mister Baltimore O. was pretty harassed.
He was very good about taking care of the raucous youngsters, in spite of being a bit frazzled. :)
4 comments:
I guess I've never seen oriole youngsters before. Quite pestiferous. Poor Dad! Thanks for sharing ! :^)
Hugs to ya from BetsyLee
They're such a pretty pale yellow until the males slowly turn orange and the females get that little peachy blush. Baby birds are so funny at that stage - they look like adults, but are still pretty helpless (or think they are). ;)
Hugs to you, too!
I've put out jelly for the first time ever in the middle of July. I've had females and finches. I haven't seen any Orioles for a while.
Sheila
I often get an oriole checking out my yard early in the spring, but they never seem to stick around, in spite of my efforts to get jelly and oranges out for them immediately. I think they stay about fifteen minutes before leaving for better pickings. I see them out in the field when walking Piper, but not in the yard. I appreciate getting to watch their antics when I go down to visit my brother. :)
Post a Comment